Your PC IP address can be set up to be either static
IP addresses change each time you restart your PC or router. If you have settings that rely on the IP address to stay the same, such as port forwarding
, they will no longer work because the IP address has changed.Static
IP addresses do not change. This is why we recommend setting up a static IP in our connectivity troubleshooting guides.
To set up
a static IP address:
• Open the Control panel.
• Select Network and internet, then Network and sharing center.
• Click on your active connection to open the Status
• Select Details. A Network connection details window will open.
• Make a note
or take a screenshot
of this information, as you will need the details later, and close the window to return to the Status
• Select Properties.
You may need administrative rights to do this.
• Highlight Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
• Select Use the following IP address and enter the information you took note of earlier.
You do not need to enter an alternate DNS server.
• Check the Validate settings on exit box and click Okay.
• Restart your PC.
these settings, choose Obtain an IP address automatically
in the Internet Protocol Version 4
If you need further assistance setting up a static IP, we recommend that you contact Microsoft
directly.Let us know
if you have any questions!