You may need to change your desktop color settings to match those of Myst Masterpiece Edition system requirements.
To do this:
To determine color setting and change (if necessary), follow these steps:
1) Click the Start button, select Settings and choose Control Panel. The Control Panel window will open.
2) Locate and double-click on the Display icon. A window titled Display Properties will appear.
3) Click the settings tab.
4) Go to the section labeled Color Palette, then change the setting to 24-bit color
5) Click Apply and then OK. You may need to restart Windows.
6) Restart Myst Masterpiece Edition. The program should now run without error.
NOTE: If you don't have a 24-bit or higher color setting for your display, then your video card does not meet the minimum system requirements for Myst Masterpiece Edition.