Check the Preferred Playback Device in the Multimedia Control Panel to determine the correct settings.
- Click on the Start button, select Settings and click Control Panel.
- Locate and double-click on the Multimedia icon.
- If it is not selected, click the Audio tab. The Audio tab is the default setting for the Multimedia Properties window.
- In the Playback section, change the Preferred Device line to Wave Out or Playback for your system's appropriate sound card. This setting must match Wave Out or Playback for your particular sound card. For example: SB16 Wave Out.
- Run Myst Masterpiece Edition. If you now have correct sound, this procedure is complete; otherwise continue with the following steps.
- If you are still not getting sound, try steps 1-3 again, changing the Preferred Device line to Use any available device rather than Wave Out.
- Run Myst Masterpiece Edition. If you now have correct sound, this procedure is complete; otherwise, continue to QuickTime configuration below.
- If you are still not getting correct sound, click on the Start button, select Settings, and click Control Panel.
- Locate and double-click on the QuickTime icon (the QuickTime icon looks like a 3D blue "Q").
- From the drop-down menu (typically defaults to About Quicktime) at the top of the QuickTime Settings window, select Sound Out.
- On the Choose a device for Playback drop-down menu, select a different sound setting. If Direct Sound is the current setting, select Wave Out (or any other Wave Out option you may have).
- Run Myst Masterpiece Edition. The configuration changes should allow sound to function properly.