1. Download and install any driver updates for your controller from the manufacturer's website.
2. Make sure that your controller is properly configured in the Windows Control Panel.
3. Check for any in-game controller settings that may need to be adjusted.
If you continue to experience issues, please try the steps below:
1. Open Control Panel, and go to Devices and Printers.
2. Right-click on one of your game controllers, and click Game Controller Settings. Note the controller's location in the list. If it is not at the top, proceed to the next step.
3. Right-click and remove all of your other controllers apart from the 360 controller / gamepad, and let them reinstall automatically.
4. Once complete, right-click and check the list again to see if the 360 controller / gamepad is at the top. If so, try again to see if the game now detects your controller.