If you're having joystick problems, the first thing you should do is make sure you have the latest drivers for your joystick installed. Below you'll find links to the popular joystick manufacturers where you can get the latest driver updates for your joystick. Also, make sure you have the latest DirectX installed. You can find the latest version of DirectX from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35
Once you have the latest drivers installed for your joystick, make sure it is connected to your PC. Then:
1. Go into the Windows Control Panel and open Controllers (Win XP) / Game Controllers (Win Vista) / Devices and Printers (Win 7).
Win 7: Right-click on the joystick that you want to use and select Game Controller Settings. Then, click Properties.
Win XP/Vista: Select the joystick you want to use and click Properties.
3. Click on the Settings tab, and then choose "Calibrate..."
4. Follow the instructions to calibrate the joystick and make sure each action successfully passes all tests. Once you're done, confirm that the joystick says "Status OK" in the Installed Game Controllers box.
5. Go into the game and choose Options --> Controls. In the Controls screen, you may need to manually remap each action to your joystick. Even though you may see some of the buttons/axes mapped correctly to your joystick, it is recommended that you manually remap them anyway.
6. To change an action to a different joystick button, click on the Event you wish to change and then click on the “Change” button at the bottom left corner of the screen. A dialog box will appear. Pressing the desired button or moving the joystick axis in the direction you want it to be assigned will cause the associated button or joystick axis to become assigned to that Event. Do this for each Event you'd like to change.
NOTE: When you make any changes in the Controls screen, you MUST click on Apply at the bottom right before leaving the Controls screen in order to save the changes.
Saitek PRO Flight Yoke / Saitek PRO Flight Rudder Pedals
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
Logitech Attack 3
Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller Wired & Wireless (limited compatibility)
Most CH Products
Most Thrustmaster Products